Project Tiger Ended successfully - Blogs by Sangram Keshari Senapati

Friday 1 June 2018

Project Tiger Ended successfully

Project Tiger, a collaboration of Wikipedia with Google to add and improve the Indic Wikipedia articles. As previously, I have shared two blogs about the Chromebook unboxing and the Offline Edit-a-thon in Bangalore. But this blog is for the overall status of the Project Tiger.

First of all, I would share my experiences with this project. I'm writing for Odia Wikipedia since December 2014, but from 8 March 2017, I'm writing regularly for the Wikipedia and then Wikisource regularly. So, for the project Tiger, Google had donated laptops and internet connections for the volunteers and hence I've applied for the Laptop. And the 1st laptop I've received from CIS-A2K office on the very first day.


Before getting the laptop, I had started writing for the Project Tiger, since it was started from 1st March. But I have to write an article for the 1 Wiki Year which has the theme about Odia Film Industry and I didn't wish to break that routine before completing the wiki year. With some other works for our Magazine, Shubhapallaba (Previously Nabapallaba) whose 2nd edition was going to release on 1st April, I had managed to write 8 articles only. 

In the April, we had released our magazine, but we had to change its name, logo, website, everything. So again couldn't contribute properly and wrote only 11 articles. But the work for the wiki year was going regularly in Odia Wikipedia as well as in Odia Wikisource. Finally, the last month May had come and I wished to write more, but a small problem arose for which I didn't write for the 1st 15 days. After that, I had tried to write some articles from the list.

In the meantime, CIS-A2K had organized an offline edit-a-thon in Bangalore on 27th May 2018, where I wrote 4 article only. And the month ended with 23 articles only. For the project Tiger, I've created 42 articles in these 3 months. And Odia Wikipedia had created 84 articles with 6 users. Harihar Prasad Satpathy sir had created 26 articles, Dr. Subash Chandra Rout sir had created 13 Articles and Bikas Ojha, Prateek Pattnaik & Gayatree Tripathy had created 1 articles each. And some also read the message of Jimmy on the main page and entered their name but never write an article and some entered some random article in the fountain tool.


Now come to the other communities. Panjabi Community and Tamil Community had created lots of articles and crossed 1000 whereas we had struggled for 100. Charn Gill from Panjabi Community had created 431 articles in these 3 months. Jagmit Singh Brar and Dsesringp from Panjabi and Tamil community respectively crossed 300 articles during these 3 months. And others also worked hard for this project. For the full details about other communities and the users who created lots of articles checks this link below. Thanks to Ravishankar for organizing this and motivating to write.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Project_Tiger_Editathon_2018



No comments:

Post a Comment